Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Day in Bangalore

I'm back to Denver, all well rested and shall I daresay, sated.

As I ranted before, the questions about how I was to deal with my ever soon to end vacation did not stop. How am I supposed to respond to "boy, it sure as hell will be tough/sad/depressing to go back to living by yourself right?" What is up with Indians and melancholy? Why not cut the dramatics? If we have to make conversation, isn't it easier to ask me about happier things, such as, I don't know, things I did on this trip? Just a simple "did you have fun?" would have sufficed. Why remind me of my impending return to life in a cube?

Apart from inane questions, us Indians like to compare. I'm sure just about anyone and his sister comments on washing v/s wiping, and it's just not funny anymore. Actually, it never was. Anyhow, here's some funny things I  observed on this trip -

1) McD's still has service. And in some cases, a long wait outside.
2) Tipping is terribly arbitrary. And the parents generation still don't tip. They just won't.
3) Tap water is lethal.
4) Traffic signs are mere suggestions, lanes are broken lines on roads that everyone ignores.
5) Overpasses/underpasses/flyovers have red lights. And road humps - so do some tollways.
6) The 5 second rule doesn't apply. Heck, there isn't even a 2 second rule.
7) The temperature (and appearance) of a bottled water is a very big deal.

My Indian accent's back. What fun.

7 comments:

Purely Narcotic said...

Uh, you had a pseudo American accent? Really? How did you manage that?

Thanatos said...

I can do a mean American accent if I want to. I use it when I speak with anyone who's not Indian. Helps avoid the usual questions we get...

Perakath said...

Tipping is, and should remain, purely voluntary, not expected. Don't start to think like Them on this!

Cynic in Wonderland said...

Tipping in India is scary. Even if u give more money than the cost of the service, the tipees look at one balefully

Eveline said...

It amuses me to see the McD's counter still crowded everyday. It's frightening to think ppl actually eat that stuff for lunch.
Nice blog!

Anonymous said...

Cynic, I agree with you whole heartedly.

I always thought India was about drama, left-right-center. I kinda like it.

Thanatos said...

@ Perakath

Food for thought. I've always wondered if tipping is necessary, in any country or culture for that matter. Good tips are an entirely different matter.

@ Cynic

Guess there is no satisfying some. I do hate it when I'm shown contempt for the tip though.

@ Eveline

Hello, welcome to the blog, and thanks! Indian McD's taste a whole lot better than their western counterparts. That's not saying much, but still...

@ AMDP

The drama gets to you, especially when its squeezed into the space of 3 weeks.